Sunday, December 7, 2014

smooze

Alejandro Rodriguez
12-6-14
Smoozing Project

            So for my smoozing project I went to the small art talk for the Fort Worth based new media artist Christopher Blay. The lecture itself was very informal, Blay wanted it to be very lax and not too up tight, from my time with him that just seemed to be that type of guy he is. After the lecture, I was able to talk to for a little bit. I told him that I too was a new media artist, though I didn’t have anyway to show him my work, though he didn’t take any offence to it. We talked a little a bit about our work, but the real meat of our conversation was when he stated telling me about the art community in Fort Worth. He said he so much more prefer the art community of Fort Worth, as oppose the community in New York, was because the artist in Fort Worth had a more tight and diverse network with one another. Its one of those situations where everyone knows everyone and that there’s a friendlier bond amongst them that doesn’t have a harsh competitive nature to it. This is where Blay said, for him, it was more important to have a friendly network of artist like this than one where you so happen to have the card of another artist you met once. He said that his style of community prosper more creativity for not only his art, but for his peers too. With this I agreed with, mainly because I seem to operate in the same way, I have a tight clique of friends and artist whom all know each other, and actually care about one another.   

No comments:

Post a Comment