Monday, September 8, 2014

Bad @ Sport #413



   This was really interesting, I liked that they talked to a few different people during the podcast. That being said I feel like there were a couple different thoughts going on, as each person was being asked different questions. I think overall this podcast is really trying to give listeners a view of what SIGGRAPH is and what it hopes to achieve.  I think the first segment with Victoria Szabo was one of my favorites and made the most sense. I loved how she described the work on display, normally a difficult task but I could very nearly picture it. Szabo mentioned being inspired by William Blake's "Auguries of Innocence", and quoted a segment:
  "To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower 
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand 
And Eternity in an hour."
1) I loved this. 2) I think this is just a great picture of what New Media is, especially the last line. I think about how is my own work I've loved the exploration of manipulating time digitally. Szabo also talked a lot about how SIGGRAPH hopes to bridge the gap between art and technology. I think Jackie Morie also mentioned collaboration and how SIGGRAPH encourages artists and scientists to work together and inspire each other.
  This is one of the things that I think is the most beautiful about New Media. I think it is so versatile and really reaches and branches out into different fields that would otherwise not be paired with art. Ultimately New Media makes connections that couldn't otherwise happen.
   The last segment about "dark matter" was most confusing to me. It involved a lot of politics the speakers seemed a bit argumentative. They talked a lot about the art world and how some people sink into invisibility and others make it big. I think that is what they mean when they talk about "dark matter?"

No comments:

Post a Comment